If you are looking to know how to make a Viking helmet at home then you are at the right place. Are you a hobbyist with an interest in making exciting cardboard stuff at home? Do you know that making a Viking helmet at home requires minimal stuff and supplies?
Do you know that you could make this helmet as creative as you would have liked?
You need to be considerate about having all things ready on your desk before you could attempt this exciting task of making the helmet.
As you have read above, the Viking helmet DIY project has got a lot of things associated with it. If you are ready with all the basic supplies and requirements then it is all upon your creativity that how beautiful and striking you make this helmet. You may add the color of your choice and other designs to make it look unique and more attractive to the eyes.
We have mentioned all the stuff and supplies you would require for this project below. These are all very basic supplies and it wouldn’t cost you much either. On top of that, making this cardboard Viking helmet will be quite a quick job and you could make as many helmets as you would have liked.
How Does It Work?
You will find the stuff required for a Viking helmet in the below section. The most desirable process to make such a helmet is using cardboard which we will be following as well. The other process is to make the same using a hat which is good but not as creative or fun as the cardboard one.
These Viking helmets might not be as sturdy and strong as those original metallic helmets of the Viking soldiers. But, they are still good enough for the hobbyists to try in their creative class, use them as a prop in a fancy dress show, or just to have fun among other kids.
Tools You Need
The process is quite simple especially in terms of the tools or stuff you require. The following are the only few things that you will need to make a Viking helmet at home:
- Duct tape – Silver or silver paint measuring
- Thin cardboard
- Plain Paper
- Measuring tape
- Regular tape or glue paint
Step By Step Guide
For your convenience and easy understanding of the process, we have divided the guide into different sections with their specific steps. You can follow the steps given below in the spate sections and in the given order for making a nice and stylish Viking helmet in just a few minutes.
#1. Headband Creation
This is the first step to start the process where you need to first come up with a headband. The following are a few steps that you require to ensure in the process:
- You need to first get hold of a measuring tape. Use that to measure the exact size of your head or of the one for whom you are making this helmet. If you are a kid then you might need to take the help of some adult in this process.
- Measure a certain strip of thin cardboard. It must be of the same size as your head. The width of the card strip should be 5 centimeters. If you are not having thin cardboard which is large enough then you can always stick two of them together. Cut out the required strip.
- Take that cutout card strip and bend it in a way to create the shape of a circle. This circle shape should be able to fit your head. Once you got the right size of it then secure its end by using the masking tape. This would create a headband for you.
#2. Getting the Shape of a Helmet
Now we come to the trickier, challenging, and interesting part of giving it the shape of a helmet. You are required to follow the steps as given below for this purpose:
- At this point, you need to cut out four pieces of cardboard. Each of these strips should be 30 centimeters in length while 4 centimeters in width.
- Now take one strip and bend it right across the headband that you made in the first section above. That inserted strip should be attached with either side onto the headband. Do the same with the second strip as well to set up across right above the headband.
- The remaining two strips of the cardboard should then be added to the headband in the same way. Their addition this time should ensure that the added strips over the headband must form a star-like shape.
- We reach now to the point to fill in the voids or the gaps. For this purpose, you need to get hold of some plain paper. Cut this paper in a shape that should be the size of the triangular gaps roughly onto the helmet. Those paper shapes should be stick with the helmet. Make sure that you make these attachments from the inside of the helmet. To complete this part, you need to make use of the masking tape.
#3. Providing The Viking Helmet with Details
If you have successfully come to this point then you have already given your helmet the much-needed shape of a Viking helmet. However, the process is still not completed and it requires various detailing to be added. To achieve that, the following are a few key steps that you are supposed to follow and to have your Viking helmet completely ready.
- A nose guard is very commonly included with a Viking helmet. This is something you should also not miss. For this requirement, measure a strip of cardboard of about 3 centimeters in width. The length of this piece should be as big as that of the size of your nose or for whosoever you are making this helmet. There are a few styles of nose guards that come with points at their tip while some could have a flat end even. It depends upon your preference that what you like. Once you have decided on that then you could make the shape that you like right at the bottom of the thin card and then cut it out.
- Attach the cut piece right with the front side of the Viking helmet. You can use masking tape here for the task to be done.
- The helmet should then be painted in grey color shades. To add more details to the helmet, you may further decorate it with rivets. Silver foil could be used here for that detailing and decoration.
We have discussed above how to make a Viking helmet at home, which is quite a simple and interesting DIY project. It is only possible to achieve the highest quality of standards in the making if you follow all the given steps above. You may get creative by introducing fancy horns with the helmet which makes them even more popular among hobbyists, especially kids.
You will require only basic stuff for making this item where the majority of the things are commonly found at home. The process would just take a few minutes and you could make as many helmets as you like. You can play around with different styles, shapes, and colors of helmets to make them look more attractive to the eyes, and especially to the kids.